2008/05/01

Ingapirca - Inca Ruins at Sun Down


Ingapirca "Wall of Inca" is the most important Inca site in Ecuador and was built in the 15th century during the Inca expansion from Peru. The main structure, an elliptical platform, known as the Temple of the Sun, was used for ceremonial and religious purposes and appears a solar observatory. I was impressed by the mortarless stonework, in it's finist precision.

When I visited with my guide, the sun had set and we were the only ones on site. How awesome it was to have a panoramic view from it's higher location, looking out to the valleys and farmlands and mountains. I don't know if it was the higher elevation or what, but I certainly felt light hearted and almost as if I could levitate. It was completely silent,
semi-dark and there were dark clouds forming, while sprinkling some holy water on our heads.

I overnighted in a nearby small village, where there were few services open, and had a redundant large plate of rice/potatoes with chicken meat and complemented it with an always well deserved cerveza (beer).

At 4am, the village Church broadcasted really really loud music, which some songs about "Madre" and Jesus and found out they are honoring the mother. But 4am? I asked the lady at the hotel if she liked the 4am music and she had pulled a nasty face, telling me in a few words of Spanish that I understood, of how the priests were in charge of the village. She also showed me a painful, dark bruise on her right shoulder and chest, with very little mobility of her arm. There is no nearby doctor and she was adamant about not going to the doctor. She had a story of how she was milking the family cow and got kicked in the shoulder. Gave her a Reiki treatment, which she said helped the pain. When I saw the fear in the childrens eyes and also her withdrawn fear, I just didnt believe her story.

No comments: