2008/04/29

Falling in Love with Banos

Hot Springs - Baths which Banos is known for
At the bottom of the waterfall, looking down at the town.


After a few chaotic days in Quito, I took off with my friends Judy and George (whom I met in Guatemala last year) in their rental car, to our destination a couple of hours south- Banos. We asked what seemed like at least 10 people for directions on many lonely street corners. Between the three of us, we had to interpret the spanish directions and for awhile we found oureselves on a wild goose chase.

Eventually, we found the Pan America Highway and arrived in a lovely, green, mountainous and magical location, where a large waterfall caught our attention alongside the town. That night we could hear the waterfall nearby, along with the birds and the sounds of tropical bugs.

I love Banos! The little quaint town has about 7000 people and the center is only 5 or 6 blocks square. There is no excuse here for getting lost.It´s lush and scenic.
The nearby Tungagurahua Volcano (Little Hell)which last erupted only a few months ago, left the village smoky with ashes, evacuated and devoid of tourists. But now the town is back in order and tourists are coming back.

The Banos Baths include one that is a scalding 118 degrees, a warm pool -great for swimming and a cold pool (sure to give me goose bumps) they are all fed by thermal springs of healthy minerals and are constantly recycled. There are 4 total groups, 3one in town and one up the hill, all well organized with dressing rooms-showers.
I visited the one uphill, soaking hot - cold - warm
and sure enough....I felt 5 years younger!



Molar Breaking....Salt Water Taffy

Too Sweet .....Sugar Cane Drinks.....However better with alcohol.

I met another couple and they asked me to go on a 2 day jungle tour with them manana.So I am going to say good by for now, to George and Judy and hello to Tony and Elva.

Hasta manana.....

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Your pictures make me want to go back to Banos! I spent 4 nights there and never got to the baths. It's a beautiful area and easy to fall in love with...