2008/06/08

2 Days left in Quito - Churches and Architecture






I´ve returned to Quito, the capital city for the finale of my trip and plan to depart to S.F. on June 10. To my delight it is not as cold here as it was 6 weeks ago. Still, I have 3 alpaca blankets on my bed.

On Sunday, I attended Mass and enjoyed the live music, the incense filled church, the ethnic dancing and then followed a crowded procession down the street. People were tossing rose petals at the carried gold statue of the indegenous Black Jesus. I tried to blend in....but basically from my last weeks in Ecuador, it is impossible.

I´m noticing the altitude change again,(back up to 9,400ft) with a little shortness of breath, a little annoying cough. Quito is filled with car and bus fumes, which makes matters worse. This time I have a hotel in Öld Quito¨the historical area, with narrow cobblestoned streets, lovely architecture and lively, spontaneous events on the streets and plazas.

Walking toward the Gothic Basilica del Voto Nacional

No comments: