2008/05/06

Vilcabamba Snake Juice - 2 shots and 5 years younger


A restaurant,Shanta's Bar, is off the beaten path on the road to Rio Yambala and is a great place to chill. Alongside the bar, is a row of well worn, horse saddle seats. The walls are lined up with animal skulls, if you like that kind of thing. And finally, you can't miss the dramatic jar of "snake juice" on top of the bar, which houses a snake curled up at it's bottom.

The outgoing, friendly owner named "Shanta", wore a cowboy hat and a seasoned, handlebar mustache. He sat at our table and encouraged my group to ¨para probar¨(try/taste) his "snake juice". When he boasted that just two shots of the juice would make us 5 years younger, we could not refuse his offer. Not being much of a drinker myself, taking just one sip not only burnt my throat but altered my voice. However, I believe I did the right thing after my sip, by following up with a bite of lime and lick of salt.

Shanta's Bar also proudly offered sauteed frog legs, filet mignon, as well as pizza choices. However this restaurant/bar is especially known for the "snake juice" and I believe this is the real secret to longevity in Vilcabamba.

Also, after 2 shots, I found that the "snake juice" tasted better and better!

No comments: